Should ATM 3 have regular full map resets to combat lag?

Poll ended at Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:23 pm

Yes
100%
No
No votes

Total votes: 4
132ikl
Site Admin

Regarding Lag Problems on All the Mods 3

Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:23 pm

(Please note that this post was written by john01dav and is simply being posted by me.)

Hello MMCCers!

As many of you know, the lag on the All The Mods 3 server has become unbearable, despite our best efforts to prevent this: removing Sponge, profiling galore, checking anything we can think of that may be the cause of the issue (i.e. not enough RAM, too much RAM, networking issues, stray chunkloaders), and a lot of research. This leads us to believe that it is a fundamental flaw in the way that modded Minecraft works, and not something that we, or other servers, can fix without a significant re-write of the entire game, or at least the modded aspects.
As such, we have come up with a compromise that would greatly help with the lag, but would also require a significant sacrifice. This compromise is doing regular map resets (likely 2-3 months apart) whenever the world gets too laggy and we are completely unable fix it. This would also help increase the number of players MMCC sees regularly; my old server ran on a similar strategy and managed to get up to 40 players at the peak time in around 6 months, without lag¹.
Please vote using the poll above, and be aware that the forum will not attempt to verify whatever email you put in when signing up. Lastly, I would like to invite anyone reading this to reply and give us alternatives, ideally allowing us to prevent lag without major resets.

¹: This was a Tekkit Lite server, and I was able to use TickThreading, a mod that greatly increases a server’s capacity for lag-creating items. Even with regular resets, it is unlikely that MMCC will be able to host 40 players on a modern pack, but it should still significantly increase our capacity, while significantly reducing lag.
Hello! I'm 132ikl, one of the owners of the server along with john01dav. Thank you for joining us here at Modded Minecraft Club!

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Return to “Announcements”